fusion-MPT

peter.g.harper at magnox.co.uk peter.g.harper at magnox.co.uk
Tue May 17 02:15:32 MDT 2005

Joseph,

I did all of that, although I used mkinitrd rather than
/sbin/new-kernel-pkg.
 I've had to rebuild the kernel several times, first to apply the patch to
stop the fans from running at full speed, and then to enable Fibre Channel
and LVM
support, I'm getting quite comfortable with the process now. That all
worked perfectly for 2.6.8.

I can build a kernel for 2.6.10 which works too, but when I add support for
the Fibre Channel
it just won't boot. It gets to the point in the boot process where it would
detect the Fibre Channel
disks and just stops. The same thing happened when I tried 2.6.9.

I seem to have solved my particular problem now however. I took the 2.6.8.1
source from
www.kernel.org and patched in the tree below fs/ as well as
include/linux/fs.h into the YDL
2.6.8 and that built quite happily. The problem I had with NFS seems to
have gone.

There just seem to be something in 2.6.9 and 2.6.10 that stops the kernel
from finding
the Fibre Channel disks.

Peter

"Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D." <joseph_sacco at comcast.net> on 16/05/2005 18:16:41