YDL 4.0.1 install fails on post install process...

Robert Story rstory-l at revelstone.com
Fri May 20 06:48:27 MDT 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005 09:22:55 -0700 (PDT) Dylan wrote:
D> I finally obtained YDL 4.0.1 for my Pbook G4 500.  I tried a fresh install
D> (repartitioned the HD, formatted everything, etc...).  It goes through each
D> disk and loads all the packages (I selected everything...).  A progress bar
D> appears stating that it is preparing the post install process and a clever
D> looking animated icon starts turning.  The meter goes half way and then the
D> icon starts to slow till it grinds to a halt and the installation and laptop
D> crashes.
D>
D> Has anyone come across this problem.

Yep. You have two choices: use rescue mode to get the current install you have
working, or try to get another install to work properly. If you are in a rush,
use rescue mode. If you want to try the fresh install, the trick seems to be
related to the partitions and formatting. I think you need a separate /boot
partition, which needs to be formatted during the install.