XMMS

Olaf Olson oolson at hadleyconnection.com
Sat May 21 11:40:42 MDT 2005

Here's the question first, so you can skip the background. Is there any
special setup required to playing streaming audio via XMMS, after
installing it on my G3 B&W, YDL 3.0.1, 512 Mb 350 Mhz? If not, does
anyone have a suggestion as to a streaming site that you know works with
XMMS, that I can test my installation?

My local Public Radio station just decided to make it easy. Instead of
demanding RealPlayer or WMP, they have a button that says "Listen with
your favorite MP3 Player". How cool is that?

Anyway, Firefox dutifully opens XMMS, which buffers and begins playing -
at least, to all outward appearances, except no audio.

XMMS plays CDs, but can't seem to play any streaming audio. I haven't
tried another site, since I've never actually seen a site that does
anything except demand WM Player or Real.

TIA,

Olaf