Trouble with Y-HPC on G5 2x2.5 + NVIDIA 6800 Ultra DDL

Peter van der Heide p.vanderheide at imb.uq.edu.au
Mon May 23 00:57:22 MDT 2005

Hi All -

We've just purchased Y-HPC for use on one of our G5 workstations. The
machine it has been designated for is a Dual G5 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, dual
250GB drives (one linux, one OS X), with a 30" cinema display.

We have paid for installation support, but have received no reply
several days later despite a 24hr turnaround claim; I have also emailed
terrasoft's presale address and received no reply.

It appears that YDL 4.0.1 as shipped does not support the NVIDIA 6800
Ultra video card in this computer, and is possibly also having trouble
with the 30" display. Using the "nv" X driver causes startx to fail
with "No Monitor Found" or similar. The extended error information in
/var/log shows a list of supported NVIDIA cards, and the 6800 Ultra is
not on this list.

Using the "fbdev" video driver, it is possible to get a semi-functional
KDE desktop up, but only if the display is set to 8 bit, and even then
the colours are revolting and there are artifacts galore - it looks
like it's actually running in 16 colour/4-bit mode.

A notable aside - the Fedora Core 4 (Test 3) install DVD, which uses
X.org over XFree86, recognizes the NVIDIA 6800 during install with its
drivers, but there are still artifacts present on the 30" display.

Has anybody had any success installing YDL on a G5 with an NVIDIA 6800
Ultra? If not, is it likely that terrasoft will provide support any
time in the near future? We may have a Dual 2.7GHz G5 on the way, which
also has been highlighted as having compatibility issues - has anybody
had any luck with this brand new configuration?

If there is no compatibility with the 2.5GHz or 2.7GHz G5s, we may have
to use a slightly older computer. Can anybody confirm compatibility
with 2x2.0GHz G5 workstations using ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video cards
(128MB)?

Historically, how long does it normally take terrasoft to bring
compatibility up to spec with current hardware? It seems odd that the
operating system that's being pushed as the ultimate 64-bit powerpc
linux does not have support for apple's two most recent flagship
workstations. It's even more odd that terrasoft are offering 2.7GHz G5s
with preinstalled despite acknowledging incompatibility with the
motherboard.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I might be able to get X
working satisfactorily with the NVIDIA 6800 Ultra, guesses on when
official support might be available, or confirmation of compatibility
with 2.0GHz + ATI Radeon 9800 or 2.7GHz + ATI Radeon 9650 G5 models?

Many thanks in advance,

Peter van der Heide
Institute for Molecular Bioscience
University of Queensland