Yellowdog and running a BIND/DNS Server

Paul Schock pauls at nofear.com
Tue May 24 11:39:52 MDT 2005

My org is looking to do a little network revamping and our first step is
take down our older Microsoft DNS servers and replace them with something a
little more stable and secure. Unfortunately, we do not have the money to
run out and buy all new servers, we happen to have a couple extra apple
machines left-over from our art dept (Fairly nice G4 and G3); I was curious
to know if anyone here had experience running a DNS server (specifically
BIND) using the apple architecture? Would you recommend yellowdog for this
type of project or should we be looking into some other UNIX flavor (NetBSD
etc.)? Also, I've been digging around trying to find documentation for setup
and configuration of the server and I haven't had any luck... If you know of
any good docs or if you have written something yourself on the topic I'd
greatly appreciate the assistance. Thanks in advance!

- Paul Schock

- pauls at nofear.com