Yellowdog and running a BIND/DNS Server

Mark Guertin guertin at brucemaudesign.com
Tue May 24 11:57:37 MDT 2005

Yep I'll chime in here as well, I ran BIND on a YDL 3 server for a
long time, also on a beige G3, ran like a top till the hardware
finally died and the services were moved over to our Xserve and OSX.

Mark

On 24-May-05, at 1:56 PM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had bind running on my old beige G3/233 before it died a couple
> of months
> ago.
>
> If I remember well, it was not very hard to setup.
>
> If followed a nice howto I found on The Linux Documentation Project
> (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO-3.html).
>
> It worked like a charm.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Geert Jan
>
> On Tuesday 24 May 2005 19:39, Paul Schock wrote:
>
>> My org is looking to do a little network revamping and our first
>> step is
>> take down our older Microsoft DNS servers and replace them with
>> something a
>> little more stable and secure. Unfortunately, we do not have the
>> money to
>> run out and buy all new servers, we happen to have a couple extra
>> apple
>> machines left-over from our art dept (Fairly nice G4 and G3); I
>> was curious
>> to know if anyone here had experience running a DNS server
>> (specifically
>> BIND) using the apple architecture? Would you recommend yellowdog
>> for this
>> type of project or should we be looking into some other UNIX
>> flavor (NetBSD
>> etc.)? Also, I've been digging around trying to find documentation
>> for
>> setup and configuration of the server and I haven't had any
>> luck... If you
>> know of any good docs or if you have written something yourself on
>> the
>> topic I'd greatly appreciate the assistance. Thanks in advance!
>>

>> - Paul Schock
>>
>> - pauls at nofear.com

> HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords>
> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

=====================================
Mark Guertin
Technology Manager, Bruce Mau Design
197 Spadina Ave, Suite 501
Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 2C8
guertin at brucemaudesign.com
416-260-5777 ext. 291

This email and its attachments are confidential: they are for use of the
named recipient(s) only. Information contained in this email and
attachments
to it are protected by privilege, work product immunity, copyright
and other
applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us
immediately by telephone at 416.260.5777 or by e-mail at
studio at brucemaudesign.com and delete this email from your files.