Yellowdog and running a BIND/DNS Server

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Wed May 25 06:31:23 MDT 2005

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 13:43, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> [Reply is OT]
>
> Anyway, here's the off-topic thought (may or may not apply to your
> situation).
>
> Oftentimes orgs try to "re-use" old hardware by running Linux/BSD to
> save a bit of cash. When you consider the expense of salaries related
> to setting up the "free" software I suspect it would've often been
> cheaper to buy a "solution" and install it rather than setting it up
> yourself. If your salary is an item, you may find that it'd be more
> cost-effective to buy the latest OS X server for the G4 or a used OS X
> server CD for the G3 (of course, in the short-sighted world of many
> managers, it's far more acceptable to "waste" salaries than to waste
> "money" (how they differ I don't understand but it seems managers
> do... I guess that's why they're managers ;-)...

Is this off topic thought meant to say: "You'd better buy OS X server and
configure its DNS server than install linux on a somewhat older machine and
configure bind because with the linux solution you will have to spend much
more time getting things running right." ?

If that is what the thought is about, I wonder why that would be. I don't know
how to configure OS X's DNS server, since I don't have Mac OS X server. I'm
sure it has a fancy GUI.

But GUI or CLI, configuring DNS is basically a matter of entering all the IP
addresses and corresponding names for all the machines in your network. Some
would argue a GUI slows this down.

If the command line interface is daunting, under linux you can use webmin to
configure bind via a GUI.

So, maybe I'm missing something but I don't really see how the linux solution
in this case would cost more salary?

Then again, you statement might have been more generic. In which case my
answer would be, "it depends on the case..."

End of off-topic rant...

Geert Jan