running Wine on YDL?

Chris Kastorff jckastorff at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 26 21:48:31 MDT 2005

You shouldn't. It's _possible_, but it won't be fast, and it won't be
easy. Wine was built for an x86 processor, and YDL was built for a
PPC processor. The instructions sent to the processor are different,
thus making apps that require a certain processor not work with other
processors. Wine is not an emulator (it's a windows simulator), but
qemu is an emulator, and you can use both to get it running.

I have gotten a very simple REALBasic app to run in wine+qemu on a
PPC, but never anything else. I'm not using YDL at the moment, but
this works on Ubuntu Hoary, it should be similar. I've given up on
it, but if you want to, you can try it. This will not work on OSX.

1) Load qemu (and its user-level emulation) from http://www.qemu.com/
or your favorite package place.

2) Load the wine binaries from qemu's site.

(the next two steps must be done quickly together)

3) Run qemu-i386 /path/to/wineserver

4) Run qemu-i386 /path/to/wine /path/to/my.exe

5) Use, debug, work work work work work.

Good luck, I've never gotten it to work with moderately complex apps
(Tried HydraIRC most notably).

     -Chris Kastorff (encryptio)