Disk names

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat May 28 17:21:26 MDT 2005

My approach may be overkill but here goes; what follows is what happens
when I follow Bill's recommendation invoking the commands from within
Terminal:

Welcome to Darwin!
Arakus:~ aguila$ su
Password:
Arakus:/Users/aguila root# pdisk -l
pdisk: no command specified
usage:  pdisk <raw device> <option>
         where <raw device> is the live partition ie. /dev/rdisk0
         and <option> is one of the following:
Option
-blockSize              		: display the block size used by the map
-dump                   		: dump the list of partitions
-isDiskPartitioned      	: is the disk partitioned
-diskSize               		: prints the size of the disk in megs
-partitionSize          		: get the partition size in blocks
-partitionBase          		: get the partition base in blocks
-partitionType          		: get the partition type
-partitionName          		: get the partition name
-partitionEntry         		: get the partition name, type, base, and size
-splitPartition         		: split an existing partition in two pieces
-createPartition        		: create a new partition
-initialize             		: initialize the partition map
-deletePartition        		: delete a partition
-getPartitionOfType     	: get partition of specified type
-getPartitionWithName   	: get partition with specified name
-makeBootable           	: make a partition bootable
-setAutoMount           	: set or clear the auto-mount bit for HFS
volumes
-setWritable            		: set or clear the writable bit in the pmap
For more info on the option, type pdisk <raw device> <option>
Arakus:/Users/aguila root#

This is obviously not what Bill expected to see.  Within the Linux
environment the command sequence "pdisk -l" indeed does produce a list
of what the Linux OS sees as attached to its SCSI chain.  The
background information is that Linux interprets all devices as SCSI
devices regardless what they are and so programs and modules are
written (and included in the kernel) so that all kinds of devices are
enabled to be useful and visible in that context.  pdisk refers to such
a table or database where those identifications are made.

Even the command "pdisk -h" produces an unexpected sequence of events.
Here is how Panther replies to the command sequence "pdisk -h" in the
same superuser session:

Arakus:/Users/aguila root# pdisk -h
[...]

That the command pdisk -l and pdisk -h produce the same output is
something that only the very, very few would be interested in
exploring.  For this time and place... it will be acceptable to merely
note that pdisk is not behaving within OS X as it does very nicely in
Linux.  This effectively demonstrates that what works in Linux may not
work in OS X; the operating systems are very different and one is (as
we all are) definitely challenged to learn the nuances -- however, for
all practical purposes only a few of "us" really want to dive into the
OS very deeply.  That has always been the case.

The beauty of OS X of course is that one is free to dive into
Darwin/BSD Unix as deep as one wishes, or not at all.  This is
something like deciding one's religion or one's philosophy.  Why one
does one journey or has a particular interest is very much left to
one's private choices.  One function, just as one command, does not
always apply or work similarly across operating systems.  The function
man, however does function in OS X, as it does in Linux and other Unix
variants.  Ferreting out which does what when will be the task of those
who are interested in going "where few have gone before".

If you have a Mac running Mac OS X and a version of Linux, take the
time to catalog where the similarities and differences lie on your own
for your own reference as you move forward on whatever project you are
programming for.  There may be references available but just not for
what you are interested in doing; so as usual how deep one goes remains
a personal choice....

Best wishes...