[ydl-gen] MySQL 4.0 RPMs ?

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Mon Nov 7 19:59:30 MST 2005

On Nov 7, 2005, at 9:44 PM, Drew Lane wrote:

> Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
>
>> Another option is to download a binary from the MySQL website and
>> unpack it under /usr/local.  I use this approach with MySQL-5.0.x.
>
> Does this approach require rebuilding other apps as well?

no...  the other apps will still "see" the libs installed under /usr/
lib & /usr/lib/mysql

Given a binary release:

You unpack the tarball under /usr/local and then make asoft  link from

       /usr/local/mysql-x.y.z  ==>  /usr/local/mysql

To use your new distribution you may want to edit its configuration
file to listen on a different port, for example 3308, and a different
socket.

You may also wish to create a script, /usr/local/bin/mysql-x.y.z,
that sets environment variables like
* PATH,
* LD_LIBRARY_PATH
* MANPATH

to pick up your new application.

How stable is 5.0.x? Answer, " It is GA".  The question to ask is
"How stable are the new 5.0.x features?" Short answer, "OK".  Prudent
answer, "check them out".  If you are not using any of the new 5.0
features,  the 5.0 release should be as stable as the 4.x.y releases,
which are also available as compiled binaries for PPC from the MySQL
website .

-Joseph

> BTW, how is the stability of MySQL 5.0 on YDL?
>
> I want to use it in a production environment and I am a little
> concerned since it's a fairly new release and all...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew

> HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords>
> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D.
joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net