[ydl-gen] Yellow Dog compatible Ethernet NIC 10/100

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 18:56:12 MDT 2005

Hi, I thought I'd follow-up to my own e-mail.

On the Ubuntu-user mailing list someone confirmed that the chipset
(RTL8139) for the *cheapest* 10/100 (D-LINK DFE-530TX+) I could lay my
hands on (8 CAD (6 USD)) worked with Linux.

<http://www.sonnam.com/detail.asp?S=186643572&prod_gp=22&prod_code=192&prod_ID=LAN%2DDLK%2D530TX>

NIC D-LINK DFE-530TX+ PCI 10/100 OEM

Anyway, I bought the NIC today. Opened up the Beige G3's case. Slipped
it in. Turned it on and allowed kudzu to autodetect (I figured I'd
have to go through some song and dance to modify files in /etc). Told
kudzu to use DHCP. And, voila, my server was up-and-running _much_,
_much_ faster (I never realised how much faster 100 BaseT was vs. 10
BaseT (I'd been accessing it over AirPort 802.11b so I never had need
for a faster connection).

The only instructions needed are this (assumptions: you'll attach
required hardware on your own without prompting):
1. turn off computer.
2. install D-LINK DFE-530TX+ NIC into empty PCI slot.
3. plug ethernet cable into new NIC.
4. turn on computer.
5. wait until kudzu appears saying it's found new hardware.
6. select DHCP in kudzu
7. you're done, unless...
8. you're running a server that requires a "fixed" DHCP IP. In that
case tell your DHCP server to serve up the chosen IP to the new NIC's
MAC address (since the old NIC/MAC addy is now no longer in use)

This is so simple, I'd trust all but the most incompetent technophobe
to do steps 1-7.

It took the machine _longer_ to boot (AppleTalk takes a while to
start*) than it did for me to install AND configure the NIC. I still
can't believe it really was _that_ simple.

*Now that I think about it, I can finally ditch AppleTalk completely
since our last OS 9 machine is leaving the house for greener pastures
(my brother-in-law).

PS I still have no idea whether or not this NIC is Mac OS 9 or X compatible ;-).

Eric.