[ydl-gen] how to disable power management - "Always On" mode?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Oct 5 14:23:36 MDT 2005

Hi Jonathan:
First of all your firewall was up?  Yes?

Did you check your log transactions for all your ports which were open?
  It is possible that your system was hacked and put to sleep with by
none other than the sleep command, because you left a port exposed.  Of
course, you can't tell after the fact without specifiic software unless
your skills are really superb... but wait if they were that good this
would not be a possibility now, would it.

Did you check your own energy settings?  Perhaps you omitted to examine
your auto shutdown sequence?  That is, you may have overlooked that
setting the shutdown value to 0 is the only way to guarantee that your
system remains up forever ... as long as your alive to pay the bills
for the power it uses.

You are probably realizing that tracking all this down -- after the
fact -- is a waste of time.  So it is best to rule out the obvious...
such as silly energy saving rules which don't apply or which you don't
need.  Blocking access to your ports, determining which ports you DO
want open, etc.  In short, start from scratch.  This TIME get and use
something called Tripwire.  It takes a log of the pristine state of
your system, and then compares all other logs and everything it sees to
that pristine state.  IT CATCHES EVERYTHING and reports it to you.  One
caveat with Tripwire though, when it asks you to approve a change it
sees -- be sure that you understand EXACTLY what it is asking you
about.  Otherwise the very human tendency to just "let it handle
things" will entrap you.

You see Tripwire assumes that you DO KNOW EXACTLY what it is talking
about, and if you approve ANY change EVEN ONCE without understanding
very well what you are choosing you might as well strung up your own
rope and hung yourself out the window.  Only this time a hacker will
figure out you are using Tripwire but you don't understand it and
whatever will be on your system will be the hackers too and Tripwire
won't help you because you were too lazy, incompetent or both.

There are other packages out there but really NONE of them are "easy".
  If someone wanted easy, wouldn't someone choose something else.
That's a different question however.  Tripwire however is a very clear
and clean security system to use.  In that sense, it rises above other
packages.

The open source version of Tripwire is here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripwire