[ydl-gen] boot problems--workaround: forcing 'fsck' at boot allows system to boot properly

andryski andryski at scripps.edu
Sun Oct 9 18:00:03 MDT 2005

I have a PoweBook G3 (Lombard) that reliably boots with 320 MB of memory, but
hangs while attempting to boot with 512 MB of memory. Besides a memory
hardware problem (I get similar results with other memory sticks.) and a
memory recognition problem (/proc/meminfo reveals 512 MB), what other problems
could be causing this? Note that forcing 'fsck' at boot, via 'shutdown -hF
now' or 'shutdown -rF now' allows the system to boot/reboot properly. Does
this indicate a hard drive problem? If so, why does the computer boot fine
with 320 MB of memory? Would a system re-install help? Would upgrading my
kernel from 2.4.24-1.ydl.1.1016 to the newest version help? Is there a bug
with memory, YDL and the Lombard? I thank everybody in advance for any help or
suggestions.