[ydl-gen] yum probs again again

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Sep 4 13:47:03 MDT 2005

Hi Kevin:
A helluva time for this to come up when you are trying to relax.
You have my sympathies.  Besides that, I'll provide hopefully a
potential resolution.  One that, at least for me, works.

The standard yum.conf appears to pointing in the wrong direction.
This is only realized after a long hard look at the various YDL mirrors
and paying attention to where the yum folder is actually placed in the
different mirrors; keep in mind that it is the yum folder at the mirror
which has the headers which the yum in your system is looking to refer
to.  Once you get the idea you'll be able to modify yum.conf to point to
the mirrors closest to you or the most productive.

Let's say I go to the standard mirror usually listed and I discover I
can't access it or I get some other message (child process died, or any
of several others).  Then look at another mirror.

One potential replacement for the standard mirror in yum.conf is this
one:

[base]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Base
baseurl=http://yellowdog.open-mirror.com/yum/4.0/base/

Notice how it reads.  If you were to go to the actual site and follow
the path of the directories you will see for yourself where the problem
lies.  First, it's not your fault.  Second, it's easy for anyone to
confuse the fact that because you, the human, can see where the
directories of ydl's stuff are, why can't yum?  Well, yum is looking for
something a little different -- header information.  A quick search or
look by anyone will lead to subtle but unavoidable errors.  Third, you
need to learn how to read this stuff because the locations and mirrors
change, and your copy of yum.conf has to be modified accordingly.

You'll notice that yum.conf is divided into separate regions such as
base.  Just define the url of the mirror you choose in properly as above
and you'll have no problem.  In short, the url pointing to the base goes
under that section, and likewise for all others.  And to save yourself
time you CAN place more than one url under each category.  Remember the
computer is seeing the url as a value placed into the variable
"baseurl".  After it looks at one url, it merely throws out the value
and moves to the next one, but the data it collects regarding where the
headers point to and what they find is reported back to you IF there is
anything to BE found.
As I've said this solution works for me.  Friday, I was as frustrated as
you are today.  I figured it out; so can you.  I hope this is useful.

Your reward should be to go out there and enjoy the holiday that is
left.