[ydl-gen] RFO: Mac Mini or G5 iMac

Ken Schweigert shawing at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 12:59:13 MDT 2005

Request for Opinions:

I'm in a situation where I can do a hardware upgrade.  I'm torn
between either the Mac Mini and the new G5 iMacs.  This is for my work
workstation.  Most of my work is spent ssh'ing in to various servers,
do some coding, and surfing.  I do also have XMMS running in the
background.  I also boot into MOL a few times a week.  So as you can
see, my needs aren't that great.  The others in my office will be
upgrading to G5s but will only be running OSX.  Since I need to
dual-boot, I have to be a little more careful.

I thought the Mac Mini was going to work out, since I have an Apple
15" LCD, but I'm a little concerned about the hard disk speed being
4200 RPMs and the sketchy sound support (I saw BenH has written a
patch for it, though).

Then the G5 iMac sounded good with having the G5, and all, and then I
saw no MOL and loud as heck with the fan running.  Is support for the
fan coming along?  Is it really *that* loud?

I would image that eventually sound and fan support will be supported
and a new version of MOL will be released, but is any of this in the
works now?  Will it be a year before these features are available?

Can anyone offer any opinions towards an upgrade?  Any other things I
should consider?  If you have either of these systems, could you
comment on how well you (dis)like them and what it's like to run linux
on them?

Thanks!
-ken
--
If you can read this ... thank a system administrator.