[ydl-gen] KDevelop crashes etc etc

Larry Miller ldmiller at rcn.com
Mon Sep 12 11:02:07 MDT 2005

I have:

Apple G3 Pismo Powerbook (500 MHz) w/256 Mb Ram, 11G disk and Airport
for networking
YDL 4.0.1
have run yum and gotten all updates from the Open Mirror and Oregon
State U.

1. kdevelop:

YDL 4.0.1 comes with KDevelop 3.0.3, a KNOWN BUGGY version that
crashes if you just open and close it and nothing else!

Also, except for the simplest programs it does not output any object
code.

After more than a YEAR with *no* update from YDL it appears that *no
one* uses KDevelop? Is there an update?

I went to KDE.org and there are a number of later revisions-- do I
have to compile the sources for one of these? Trying to use a pre-
compiled binary distro such as from Fedora gets you into Dependency
Hell...

2. Network connection:

"Forgets" on reboot even though set to come up on login.

3. Firewire connection to CD/DVD burner:

Hangs on "sleep", takes several POWER UPs to get its brains back.
Installer does not include K3b-- why not? is there another burner
program?

4. How do I make GNOME the default environment? When I installed
*everything* (trying to fix kdevelop), one of MANY install attempts,
there was an app to set the default. I am now set up as a workstation
with Gnome added, but this app is nowhere to be seen, and the machine
always defaults to KDE, the Crap Desktop. After SIX YEARS no manual!
And THIS is going to beat up Microsoft and Apple? Pfah!

GTk+ seems much more stable.

2, 3 and 4 seem like they might be related, like there is a
configuration file missing.

Any help appreciated.

Larry Miller