[ydl-gen] is there anyway to install kde 3.4.x ?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Sep 18 16:33:56 MDT 2005

Dear Albert:
Usually yum is used for updates, installs and so on.  If you want to
find whether the latest kde is available to yum you could do the
following:
[root at arakus aguila]# yum search kde*
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Base
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Extras
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Update
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Looking in available packages for a providing package
Available package: kdepim.ppc 6:3.3.2-0.2 from update matches with
 A PIM (Personal Information Manager) for KDE.
Available package: kdepim.ppc 6:3.3.2-0.2 from update matches with
 PIM (Personal Information Manager) for KDE
Available package: kdepim.ppc 6:3.3.2-0.2 from update matches with
 kdepim
Available package: kdegraphics.ppc 7:3.3.2-0.2 from update matches with
 kdegraphics
Available package: kdemultimedia.ppc 6:3.3.2-0.1 from update matches
with
 Multimedia applications for the K Desktop Environment (KDE).
Available package: kdemultimedia.ppc 6:3.3.2-0.1 from update matches
with
 kdemultimedia
.
.
[truncated]
.
.
Available package: kde-i18n-Korean.noarch 1:3.2.2-2 from base matches
with
 kde-i18n-Korean
146 results returned
Looking in installed packages for a providing package
Installed package: kdeaddons-xmms.ppc 0:3.3.2-0.1 matches with
 kdeaddons-xmms
Installed package: kdemultimedia.ppc 6:3.3.0-0.1.rc2 matches with
 kdemultimedia
Installed package: kdegames.ppc 6:3.3.2-0.1 matches with
 kdegames
Installed package: lockdev.ppc 0:1.0.1-2.3.1 matches with
 lockdev
.
.
[truncated]
.
.
Installed package: kdeartwork.ppc 0:3.3.2-0.3 matches with
 kdeartwork
22 results returned
[root at arakus aguila]#

If you don't see the most current kde available to yum then you could
rewrite yum.conf to search for headers which may be more current or if
your yum.conf already points to freshrpms, then a listing like above
will inform you that the latest version of kde is not available via yum.

The other recourse you have at this point is downloading and compiling
kde's source, dependent files and so on.