[ydl-gen] Netgroup Issue on PowerPC's

Posey, Jake E Jake.E.Posey at boeing.com
Fri Sep 23 14:26:07 MDT 2005

I'm running yellow dog 4.0 on G5's as a nis client.  The nis master is a
Compaq ML 370 running redhat as4.0.  It appears the powerpc's as well as
the hp nis clients are all having a problem with netgroups.  It appears
we have run into a limitation with netgroup.  Some users are
experiencing problems accessing data when they are members of secondary
groups.  This seems to be because of a limitation that only reads up to
16 groups although you can be a member of many more.

One path we're looking down is this maybe an issue with nfs.  We're
running nfs version 3.0 and was looking at upgrading nfs to version 4 or
5.  One of my counterparts read where this issue maybe resolved by
upgrading nfs.  What I want to know if first has anyone seen this
problem?  If so what is the fix or workaround?  Second if it is an nfs
issue what are the steps to upgrade nfs on the powerpc's?

As for the HP's we know how to upgrade nfs on that platform.  I'm new to
the powerpc platform and would like to get some info on how to do that.

Thanks,
Jake