[ydl-gen] Re: Firewire install question

Charles Trois charles.trois at wanadoo.fr
Mon Apr 10 09:48:40 MDT 2006

yellowdog-general-request at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com a écrit :

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 23:20:33 -0800
> From: Steven Didier <steve.didier at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ydl-gen] Firewire install question
> To: "Yellow Dog Linux General Discussion List
> 	<yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>"
> 	<yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>
> Thank you Kai and Bill, The firewire boot issue for my TiBook has been the
> deal breaker for me since 3.01, as it has been for Gentoo, and the other
> Debian based ppc distros. I run Ubuntu on another partition on the main
> drive but relish the idea of being able to just take an external drive to
> another location.
> Steve

My problem is similar to the one discussed in this thread.

I have a G4 iMac. The internal drive is divided in two parts, for MacOS
10.4.6 and Gentoo Linux respectively. There is also a Firewire drive,
likewise divided in two. On one of the parts, there is a MacOS 10.3.9
(bootable). On the other, I had planned to install something, so that it
already contains the standard Linux partitions. They are all visible in
the Apple disk utility, or in ExtFS, or from Gentoo (mac-fdisk sees the
fw drive as /dev/sdb). Now I would like to install YDL 4.1 there.

1. To deal with a side issue first: like many others, I am unable to
produce a faultless 4.1 disk-1 (I have had the same difficulty with
4.0.1). I have made two downloads from different mirrors (md5sum ok) and
burned the disks at low speed. Both fail the media check. This seems to
happen a little too often, and there must be something fishy there.
Anyhow, what exactly is the significance of this test? There is nothing
to indicate to what extent the disk might be corrupted. Actually, it
boots and everything seems normal up to the Anaconda step.

2. The main problem: although the option "install firewire" was chosen,
the Disk Druid ignores the fw drive, so that I cannot go any further and
no installation is possible.

I shall await further developments with great interest.

Cheers.

Charles