[ydl-gen] sleep / standby -- addenda

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Apr 13 21:26:03 MDT 2006

Apologies.  I actually believed that at least something I submitted
would be correct.  No one should be surprised that as usual in things
Linux, few things are straightforward.  Here is what I was able to find
out:

http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl8_apmd.htm

here's another reference:

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/apmsleep.1.html

the commands are further made more complex by the fact that these power
management commands (and more) are related to BIOS which PPC systems
don't have which explains why the associated daemons and commands to
implement what you have been looking for does not appear to exist within
YDL 4.1 or available repositories which yum can access.

What does exist is something called suspend, but somehow it exists only
as a reference within the man pages, but not as a command.  When I
search within YDL 4.1, note what happens (also note what happens when
yum searches for it):

[aguila at arakus ~]$ whereis suspend
suspend: /usr/share/man/man1/suspend.1.gz
[aguila at arakus ~]$ sudo yum search *suspend*
Password:
Searching Packages:
Setting up repositories
extras                  100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
update                  100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
updates                 100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
No Matches found
[aguila at arakus ~]$

It is only by questions such as you have presented that the rest of us
can flesh out what work needs yet to be done.

At least we know now that a gaping huge hole exists.

Best wishes....