[ydl-gen] backup solution

Christopher Murtagh christopher.murtagh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 11:52:12 MDT 2006

On 8/2/06, Rick Thomas <rbthomas55 at pobox.com> wrote:
> Take a look at rsnapshot.  It's a script that uses a little-known
> feature of rsync to do disk-to-disk backups that are very economical
> of space.  After the first full backup it does the equivalent of full
> backups forever but uses no more space (or bandwidth) than a series
> of incrementals would use.
>
>        http://www.rsnapshot.org/

Funny, I was going to recommend something very similar that I was
using for a while:

http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

It seems to work fairly well, although I stopped using it, because
instead what I do is simply rsync to a backup box and use tar zcf for
full backups (once a week) and simply add --newer-mtime 'yesterday'
for daily incrementals.

Cheers,

Chris