[ydl-gen] G5 dual, 2.7 GHz 20" Cinema Display

Kai Staats kstaats at terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Aug 9 15:18:11 MDT 2006

All,

> I am well aware of both the points you raised and awaiting, like you, a
> version of Linux which can run on these very powerful PPC systems.  I
> provided the information to Dr. Freysinger to present the facts as they
> are currently, without getting into the wider contributing factors
> which you raised.  After all, it is quite possible that if companies
> such as Nvidia discover that there remain highly skilled and determined
> professionals (and institutions) willing and insisting on using PowerPC
> systems, their policies can change.

1) Your 20" should work. I remain puzzled. We need to find someone with your
same config and get their config file or if you can, grant one of my staff
access to your box while the monitor is attached.

2) NVidia is not likely to support Power anytime soon. We have tried over the
years. Apple motivated them to build cards, but no more. ATI (whose cards are
more readily supported) seems more proactive in selling Power firmware cards
outside of OEM boxes.

3) There is movement at IBM and internal to TSS to bring the x86 emulator
found in LinuxBIOS to Power which enables x86 graphics cards to run inside a
Power box. This opens up a new world. You may want to talk to the folks at
Genesi (genesippc.com) who have put a great deal of effort into 2D and 3D
support for a wide variety of cards.

4) Don't hold your breath for the XBox ... but the PS3 looks promising :)

> Perhaps I'm nieve, but professionals and institutions should not be
> ignored in regards to the equipment they need to pursue their
> efforts/work.

But they are :(

kai