[ydl-gen] Attempted hack of FTP server

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Aug 29 07:42:43 MDT 2006

Peter-Paul,

Thank you for the update. As I said, I didn't know.

In our specific case, it doesn't matter whether or not iptables is capable of
it. Our ftp server negociates TLS before any data connection is setup. By
definition, the secured TLS connection can't be tracked, so the firewall has
no idea which port to open. As a result we implemented a solution that opens
a limited range of harmless ports in order to get ftps working.

I am curious in general though, does iptables perform this statefull packet
inspection by default, or is there some configuration required for it ?

Regards,

Geert