[ydl-gen] Attempted hack of FTP server

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Aug 29 10:06:49 MDT 2006

Greetings All!

I thought to jump in and share some information which could be useful
in this thread.  Here are two suggestions:

1.  Regarding tracking down who is actually doing what and where as far
as attempted hacks.  For getting a record or report regarding what is
being attacked (so you can later close those vulnerabilities, of
course) there are few tools as reliable as Open Source Tripwire
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripwire).  I've run it with YDL and
it is very thorough.  If you eventually develop into a commercial
service you perhaps may then be interested in the commercial version
from tripwire (http://www.tripwire.com/).

2.  There exists a hardware firewall device which actually sits between
the incoming DSL or faster connection and that connection leading to
your computer.
I currently have it setup so that it sits between the incoming
high-speed connection and my wireless router.  When I'm using YDL I
connect to that router with an ethernet cable.  The hardware firewall
device itself fits within one's palm and is extremely portable.  The
device is constructed so that it acts completely independently of the
operating system.  More detailed information regarding it is available
here:

http://stingrayinc.com/

As much respect as I have for software firewalls and tripwire, in
particular -- this hardware firewall known as the Stingray Firewall, is
just what the small fellow -- independent, non-commercial individuals
and non-profits providing IT services via their servers -- need.  This
isn't hype, it is reality and is available for a paltry cost of $80.
The hardware device provides anti-phishing protection as well and will
function nicely within a commercial or non-commercial environment.

Once you register the device with the manufacturer it will be updated
perpetually at no further cost to you.  No update fees -- nada --
nothing!  Also there exists an antivirus software package provided free
by the same company  to individuals who are not businesses and
non-profit which protects further your operating system.  I've been
informed that a Mac version of their antivirus product is under
development.  However, one can install and activate for either OS X or
YDL, the native firewall and Clam Antivirus.  Activating the native
firewall or clam antivirus won't affect or limit the Stingray.  If you
are interested in purchasing it, you can get it from here:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/75f3/

One more comment, regarding the Stingray.  Once you have the Stingray,
I doubt any hacker will be able to get past it to activate tripwire.
This may make tripwire relegated to tracking illegal activities within
a network behind the protection provided by the Stingray as one need
not worry about that anymore.

It's great to see the YDL community up and kicking!

Best wishes.... Derick.