[ydl-gen] uninstall a program

Nick Jones nicholas-jones at uiowa.edu
Wed Aug 30 12:32:39 MDT 2006

Can someone explain an easy way to remove packages (like mysql)??

Here are some issues I'm having.

1.  I haven't set up a yum repository, which should not be necessary
for removal of packages.  Also, what about the repository that was
used to install in the first place, ie. the cd's, why is this not a
default, pre-configured repository?    Basically you can't really use
YUM without an internet connection or a bunch of hassle setting up
your own webserver and yum repository, is this correct?

2.  I tried using the Add/remove programs, but unchecking mysql
results in complaints about packages needed.  Seems pretty apparant
that Add/remove is totally useless and broken.

3.  I can do this with rpm -e --nodeps or whatever, but what is the
point of Yum and Add/remove for someone without an internet
connection?

Thanks

Nick