[ydl-gen] No video hardware acceleration on PS3

Brian Wood beww at bresnan.net
Sat Dec 2 17:23:53 MST 2006

On Dec 2, 2006, at 4:26 PM, drbob wrote:

> Warren Nagourney wrote:
>
> As a potential end user, one of my the biggest things that excited me
> about the PS3 was the potential to use it as a High Definition Mythtv
> frontend. I'm now worried that this may not be possible.
>
> Framebuffer graphics are often inadequate to play back even a standard
> def mpeg on x86 hardware without a lot of skipped frames and juddering
> in the picture. Does this news mean that PS3 Linux will be pretty much
> useless for video playback in SD and/or HD?

There was some brief discussion of this on the Myth user's list the
other day. Without any accelerated video I think HD would be pretty
much out of the question, and even SD would be questionable.

So at least for now it's not a viable HD frontend. Too bad, it would
have been great, but things might well change in the future. If
somebody were to develop commercial video drivers under an NDA I'd
certainly consider paying for them. I paid for commercial Mach-64
drivers back when that was the only way to get those cards to work
properly in Linux.

I believe in Open Source but I'm not a fanatic about it :-)

Terrasoft has certainly taken the first step, without which no future
progress would even be thinkable.

But first we have to get our hands on the hardware, and competing
with all the gamers out there will be a trial :-)