[ydl-gen] Remote Desktop YDL PS3 to OSX

Sanders, Rob M. sanders-rob at zai.com
Tue Dec 12 12:57:50 MST 2006

If you want to do what I think you want, (display your PS3 desktop on
the OS X box), its pretty easy.
I'm doing it right now from my PS3 to my dual G5.  I've got my PS3 to
run a VNC session at boot for
my default user, and I'm using CotVNC (Chicken of the VNC) on my mac to
display it.  There is a way
to have the PS3 automagically start a vnc session on request, but I
haven't done the hoofwork to set
it up.

The way I did it (probably a better way...)

1) on the ps3, turn off ipchains/iptables (forget which it is)
2) edit /etc/sysconfig/vncserver (or servers) to start the VNC session
the way you want it
3) setup a vnc password for your user 'vncpasswd'
4) edit $HOME/.vnc/xstartup and follow the instructions for uncommenting
two lines for a regular
   desktop.
5) enable vncserver using /usr/sbin/system-config-services
6) install CotVNC on your Mac, and off you go (Note, CotVNC did *not*
require me to use X11 on the Mac).

Hope I got it all right from memory.  Here's a link on configuring VNC
that I used....
          http://www.skullbox.net/vncserver.php

  Good luck...

                     Rob