[ydl-gen] Display resolution on HD TVs? --Sony's feedback

Bret Rowdon cmunsta at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 06:49:36 MST 2006

On 12/12/06, Kai Staats <kstaats at terrasoftsolutions.com> wrote:

> This just in from Sony:
>
> ...[snip]...
>
> PlatformSpecificUtilities.html on ADD-ON CD
> --------------------------------
> ps3videomode: switch video mode dynamically
>
> This command shows current video settings such as resolution, frame rate,
> color space, and so on, and switches them dynamically.
>
> usage:
>     ps3videomode [options]
>
> ...[snip]...
>
> We can use full-screen (no overscan) mode with ID plus 128 as above.
> This video ID can also be set in /etc/kboot.conf file as follows.
>
> yd_fulll='/dev/sda1:/vmlinux-2.6.16-20061110.ydl.1ps3
>                 initrd=/dev/sda1:/initrd-2.6.16-20061110.ydl.1ps3.img
>                 root=/dev/sda2 init=/sbin/init video=ps3fb:mode:131 rhgb'
>
> This is 720p full-screen mode supports 1280x720 pixcels.

Despite this some people still have trouble getting full screen to work. The
problem is that once they select a full screen mode, such as 131 in the
example above, the image gets cropped off the edges of the screen. So their
options are to have black bars on screen, or not be able to view the entire
screen. This does seem to be an issue with the TV however but I remain
unsure of the actual cause (TV rescalling issue?, bad setup?, image is
zoomed in?, using component vs HDMI?)