[ydl-gen] Configure a printserver

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat Feb 11 15:50:19 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 13:19 -0800, Harold Shanafield wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to share an epson color stylus 740 hooked
> up by usb to a g4 running ydl 4.0 with other windows
> and linux machines I have here.  I have been playing
> around with samba and cups to no avail.  I also have
> the firewall running and was wondering if that might
> be the problem (what ports do I need open?)  I can't
> see the samba shares on other machines.  Should I just
> turn off the firewall?  Could anyone point me to a
> good howto?
>
> Thanks,
> Harold

Hi Harold!

Apparently you want to turn your G4 into a printer server.  This means
that not only do you have to add your printer within printconf so that
the G4 sees the printer within YDL.  You also have to determine what
media your network will have such that each OS will know who it is
sending files to for printing and each machine has it's own identity
within the linked network and yet each sees the G4.  Surprisingly, they
don't have to see each other; the printer server however -- the G4 --
has to see each of them and manage each job they send - and tell them
when they will have their respective jobs completed.  YDL can handle
that of course.

Setting it up however is dependent upon what media you actually choose
or have available.

Depending where your devices physically are this could mean thin-client,
Ethernet or wireless network.  Of course, if you are saavy enough you
could set up your G4 as a wireless printer server and each computer
communicates wirelessly to it.  This will save you a lot of cable and
wires.  However, setting each OS to do this is a bit hairy as each
computer will need to access the wireless router first and through that
be recognized as an individual computer within YDL from which to accept
printer commands.  Remember that System-config-network is your friend.

This is definitely interesting as a project, but I've merely described
the generalities.  Actually getting it done may not be as fun, depending
upon what you have available to work with.

After the network exists then you work on Samba or whatever else you
intend to have done.

There are enough hints here to get you moving in the right direction.

Good Luck ....