[ydl-gen] Audio over remote X11

Jim Hart jhart at bates.edu
Mon Feb 13 09:38:54 MST 2006

I have what seems to be a very interesting situation.

My configuration:

   1 Mac Cube running Mac OS X 10.4 and Apple's X11 1.1. (Used to use
XDarwin under Mac OS X 10.3.x.)

   1 Mac Cube running "headless" with YDL 3.0.1

I've been logging into the YDL box via SSH with X11 pass-through for
years. Thinking that X11 handles only video, I didn't expect any sound
from the YDL machine to come through on the OS X machine. And, sure
enough, if I run xmms, I hear no sound. However(!), after installing
Apple's X11 1.1 at the same time as installing Tiger, and then upgrading
to Thunderbird 1.0.5 on the YDL system, all of a sudden, the sounds put
out by Thunderbird, such as the "boop" when new mail arrives, are
_audible_ on my OS X machine. I know it isn't OS X making the sound
because the only things running are X11 and Finder. Also, at one point,
I was typing,on the YDL box, somewhere in Thunderbird that wouldn't
accept input and got a "boop" on every keystroke.

Soooooo, how is Thunderbird doing it? And, if X11 can do sound, how do I
get all the YDL audio redirected to come out on the OS X system?

Jim Hart