[ydl-gen] RE: no internet access with YDL 4.0.1

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Feb 16 13:59:00 MST 2006

Greetings Brian:
I'm not sure that this will address your concern or even address
Harald's predicament, but let's start at the beginning.  Usually during
the YDL installation process there is an option for the Network
configuration to be set such that it (Ethernet -- eth 0) is active when
Linux boots up.  This is a matter of choice according to whatever one
decides the computer's central function is going to be.

If it is not selected as active then we need to have it activated
eventually so that web communications and file transfers become
possible. Generally, we use the Network Configuratioarakusn tool.  It is
accessed via Selecting System Settings and then select Network.  You'll
be asked for your root password.

When it appears, you'll notice 5 tabs, depending upon your hardware
setup 4 of the 5 should contain some information.

Hardware: should list the physical devices in your system.
When you click this tab you should see something of Apple (under the
Description) and other things across that line.  IF you click upon edit,
you should see the name of the Ethernet card in use Grayed out in the
Adapter field.  In the Device field should appear eth0, which is not
grayed out meaning that you can change it.

As it appears that you and Harald share enough difficulties, I recommend
that you leave this be.  Now if your device is still not showing up at
this point now it is time to check physically what Ethernet adapter you
are using.  Make sure Linux has the driver for it, and so on.  But
before we go down that road, check to insure that the correct
information which Net. Config. refers to is listed in the file
modprobe.conf.  You can find modeprobe.conf in /etc; that is you need to
go to /etc and open modeprobe.conf with an editor.

[root at arakus aguilarojo]# cd /etc
[root at arakus etc]#
[root at arakus etc]# vim modprobe.conf

which opens up to this:

alias eth0 sungem
alias snd-card-0 snd-powermac
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-powermac index=0
remove snd-powermac { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1
|| : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-powermac
alias eth1 prism54

Your ethernet device (whatever it is) needs to be listed in
modprobe.conf.  If you are astute you'll notice that your sound cards
are also listed here.

If vim or vi confuses you, use a simpler editor.  In any case, be able
to read, correct or modify that file so that it reflects reality.
Remember to save your changes.  Restart the Net. Config. app again and
your device should appear in the Hardware tab.

This should be good enough information to get you on the right path
towards a solution.  Other aspects of the computer system to
investigate.  When the computer is shut down and completely off, open up
the internals and double check that the Ethernet card is securely seated
within it's slot.  It could be that it is loose; don't force it in.
Check for any obstructions or tiny levers which may not be allowing it
to "sit" into it's place correctly.  Maybe you don't have an Apple
Ethernet card, it could be something else.  Now is the time to check.
Note the model and make of the card somewhere.  After everything is
secure, boot up again and go into the Net. Config app. and see if
anything different shows up.

If still nothing, then if you have done the above and confirmed you
don't have an Apple Ethernet card for eth0, then select New and you'll
begin a process of a selection of looking for available Linux drivers
for that Ethernet card at eth0.  Make sure Ethernet connection is
selected under Device type, you'll see the phrase, "Create new ethernet
connection."  Click the Forward button and you are off towards
configuring the actual card you have.  After that process is completed
you should see the actual name of the device (in form abbreviated form)
listed in both the Hardware tab and modprobe.conf

Best of Luck ....