[ydl-gen] Mac mini vs Powerpc 8600=energy consumption

H. Apfel linux at apfel-edv.de
Mon Jan 9 02:08:15 MST 2006

><snip>
>
>It depends what you use it for and with. Is it headless? Then the Mac
>mini will probably use half _or less_ the energy that the 8600 with
>the G4 upgrade (which will add to the load) would.
>
>You could be saving on the order of $20-70/year if you were to compare
>running both machines 24/7 (assuming ~50 W draw for the Mac mini (on
>average) vs 150 W draw (on average) for your 8600, upgraded to G4 (the
>upgrade will draw more power than the 8600 would alone)).

Nononono! I measured a Mac mini (1.42 - 1 Gig) at 27 W (Typing) / 35
W (with optical drive on).

My iBook (1.25) has a 45 W Adapter which powers the computer, screen
& battery recharger. It's basically the same computer with an added
screen.

So I'd max the mini (CPU 100% load, low graphic load, no optical
drive) at 35 W.

Greetings

Holger