[ydl-gen] dvi/video out on alubook 1,67 ghz (powerbook 5,6)

Jurvis LaSalle lasalle at bard.edu
Sat Jan 14 14:53:49 MST 2006

WOW.  What a complete and utter failure to communicate...
	My understanding of the situation is that Benoit would like to attach
his external display to his PB and have desktop spanning enabled (as
opposed to mirroring).  His hardware most certainly does support dual
head operation.  64MB of VRAM is more than enough for this task.  I had
to give up my ydl install on my PB when I installed Tiger (I'll get it
back when I've saved up for one of those nice 120GB 2.5" HD), so I
can't boot into it and see if there's a way to do this from the GUI.  A
little googling (
http://www.google.com/search?rls=en-us&q=dual+head+YDL&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF
-8 ) turned up this link:
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/video.php .  Looking up
Benoit's model, it seems dual head is "Probably not..." supported.
Then again, the ydl front page (
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/index.shtml/ ) states "X.org 6.8.2,
featuring improved Radeon dual-head support."  To sum up, you may be
able to set this up from the GUI if you are subscribed to ydl.net and
are running ydl4.1.  Otherwise, more googling (
http://www.google.com/search?rls=en-
us&q=dual+head+linux+powerbook&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 ) turns up this link:
http://www.johnleach.co.uk/documents/powerpc/ .  You'll probably have
to get your hands dirty in X config files to tailor Mr. Leach's config
to your particulars.  Good luck!

hth,
JL

PS  Derick, this a linux list and all so there's no need to lay the FUD
on so thick.  We're already drinking the kool-aid.  It would be equally
pointless for me to point out that all Benoit would have had to do is
plug the display in if he was booted into OS X.