[ydl-gen] dvi/video out on alubook 1,67 ghz (powerbook 5,6)

Jurvis LaSalle lasalle at bard.edu
Mon Jan 16 03:41:50 MST 2006

	I fully retract the FUD statement.  It was hastily tacked on as I
was late leaving for a dinner appointment.  My apologies for
insinuating that you were an Apple shill trying to get Benoit to fork
out extra dough for video hardware he may not need.
	Despite your conjectures, I'm very sure the problem ultimately boils
down to what size display Benoit has.  The 30" would require this
extra VRAM and dual-link dvi cable that you're so keen on.  If he has
a 20" or 23" display, he should be able to get dual head working with
his current hardware and some creative editing in his xorg conf.
	Also in dispute is just what TSS means by Dual head on that page and
whether or not they are stating if something is possible or just
supported.  After reading this page: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/
support/hardware/breakdown/index.php?hw_cat_id=4  (where they still
frustratingly only refer to the 15" model with 128MB of VRAM), I can
only assume that what they call "external video Yes*" is what I would
call dual head support.  Which makes clicking on the Video
Information link that much more confusing when it says "Dual head:
Probably not..."  Most likely they are referring to dual-link dvi
there.  Perhaps someone at terra soft can clarify further.
	I will stick with my assertion that support from TSS or not, if
Benoit has a 20" or 23" ACD, he will be able to hack it together in
time with hard work and plenty of coffee.  So keep hope Derick-
Benoit may yet be able to remain booted into linux for the
foreseeable future ;-D

JL