[ydl-gen] TecPlot on YDL ppc?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Jul 11 15:10:54 MDT 2006

Hi Moose:
If you review this page from their website:

http://www.adeptscience.co.uk/sysreq/getsysreq/103/tecplot+focus.html

You'll see the listing of the systems Tecplot runs on.  I comprehend
your confusion regarding their presentation.
Let's examine what they present, ok?

For 32 bit OS although they list Linux, they don't specify if this is
Linux running exclusively for x86 and compatibles or PowerPC or both.
However, for 64 bit OS they do specifically state that the only version
of Linux supported are those which are x86 and compatibles.

It unfortunately, has been my experience (and the experience of many
other participants here) that when a company writes a statement in such
a manner it usually means that they provide support for Intel and
compatible based Linux systems only.  You will have to contact that
company -- Adept Scientific -- for a more detailed explanation of this
webpage.

Regarding other software which may interest you please refer to here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/3rd_party/index.php?
cat_id=4&PHPSESSID=a48d7f08ed1e279e128b6d4cd981f24c

You may care to look at GRASS (which is free as it is a GPL project)
and also gnuplot is a reliable analytical standard for many
professionals.  To find gnuplot within the YDL environment merely do:

$ locate gnuplot

If you decide that GRASS is more along the lines of what you need, it
and Xephem are used for many other analyses besides the area of science
for which they were designed.
Remember when you visit the 3rd Party DB for YDL above that for
instance when you completed reading the information regarding GRASS or
Xephem that you can arrive at their respective webpages by selecting
More Info...

The source of Xephem is available for download and I understand from
past email exchanges with it's designer that it compiles within PowerPC
and should run within YDL with no difficulty.  Likewise the source of
GRASS is available and should compile within the YDL environment
without difficulty.

Best of Luck... Derick.