[ydl-gen] X.org vs X.Free

Nicholas nova at macintoshclub.com
Thu Jul 13 18:36:46 MDT 2006

> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:53:54 -0400
> From: "Christopher Murtagh" <christopher.murtagh at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ydl-gen] X.org vs X.Free was Re: yellowdog-general
> 	Digest, Vol 22,	Issue 5
> To: "Discussion List for General Yellow Dog Linux User Topics"
> 	<yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>
> On 6/27/06, Nicholas Sinnott-Armstrong <nova at macintoshclub.com> wrote:
> > OK, I did this and all the X stuff pointed to XFree86 4.x, not X.org.
> >
> > > The other option you have is to go to x.org itself and find what is
> > > available there  - download the source, compile it, build the
> > > executables and install them.  However getting what is current from
> > > them may not help you if their package requires the more current
> > > packages available in the Linux kernel or other dependencies which
> > > replace those you may be familiar with.  And as some dependencies are
> > > shared across different applications this may become an unwieldy
> > > problem pretty quickly.  Depending on the computer you use for YDL you
> > > have a variety of choices.
> > >

> > I guess this is my best bet.
>
> Re-compiling X.org might be a lot of work. YDL4.1 uses X.org, and I'm
> pretty sure that YDL4.0 does too. I think the last YDL release to use
> XFree was YDL3. Depending on how much you've customized your system,
> maybe upgrading to 4.1 might help your situation a bit?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

Yes, I tried to recompile X.org, but it gave nasty errors (IIRC, some
sort of dependency thing), and took up about 1GB of my 5, so I removed
it. I currently do not have a working CD drive for that computer, so I
guess I cannot do anything for now. Once I can, either 4.1 or Ubuntu (I
have it on my desktop and grew fond of apt, which is the same as fink
for OSX) will go onto it.

nick