[ydl-gen] ethernet card not found after kernel modification

Nick Jones nicholas-jones at uiowa.edu
Fri Jul 21 13:33:29 MDT 2006

Hi, I'm looking for some help getting the XServe ethernet cards
working.  I'm having network card troubles.  The network adapters work
fine with the default kernel that installs with YDL 4.1 cd's.

I followed the instructions at
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_4.0/RAID/
to modify the kernel to support the Apple Fibre Channel PCI card.  The
differences are I'm using a 2.6 kernel, so the menuconfig options are
a little different, there is no config.in, and I did not strip the
kernel before making modules.

It worked great and the RAID is seen now by the hardware browser.
However, the ethernet devices are giving me strange errors.  I get tg3
device not present, delaying initialization when I try to activate the
interface.   lspci sees the devices, and switching which interface is
associated with which device makes no difference.

I am using the kernel smp sources from the cd, and then using the
default g5-smp config under the configs directory and not changing
anything (just to test).   This fails with the same error tg3 device
not present.
Steps to reproduce.
1. Install G5-smp kernel source from 4.1 cd's after installing 4.1 on
an XServe G5
2. Run cp /usr/src/kernel-src-g5-smp/configs/g5-smpconfig
/usr/src/kernel-src-g5-smp/.config
3. make vmlinux
4. make modules
5. cp vmlinux and System.map to corresponding /boot files and reboot
with this kernel
Network cards not recognized.

What config option could I try?

Any ideas??