[ydl-gen] Apache web server & virtual hosts

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 16:30:15 MDT 2006

Hi all,

I have been trying to set up virtual hosts on my webserver (so I can
do foo.bar.com, big.bar.com, etc.bar.com).

I managed to set one up successfully using the webmin interface for
port 6900. I tried to add a second virtual host on a different port
but it wouldn't be recognised.

HOWEVER, if I swap the port numbers on the virtual hosts the one I
added second will appear on port 6900 but the one I originally entered
on 6900 is then disabled.

This is what the virtual host entry looks like...

<VirtualHost _default_:6900>
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/foobar
ServerName www.foobar.com
<Directory "/var/www/html/foobar">
allow from all
Options +Indexes
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

The second virtual host entry is nearly the same except it's for 99
(it's also been 6800, 6901, 6902) and for a different directory.

I try to access the different virtual hosts locally via
http://localhost:99 (for e.g.) but that errors out saying  can't
establish connection.

Any ideas? Do I need to tell httpd to do something special other than restart?

apachectl -S reports the virtual hosts as having the correct syntax.

Eric.