[ydl-gen] libFLAC.so.4

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Jul 25 16:28:48 MDT 2006

Hi Olaf:
I believe I found that discussion you are referring to; there is
difficulty with Rev's approach however which he mentioned in the first
two lines after his introduction.
He chose to attempt at that time to use freshrpms associated with YDL
4.0 as though they could be used with YDL 4.1.

However, Andres (to whom Rev was responding to), who was able to get
xine actually working may have used fresh and current libraries,
source, etc. directly from the xine project
(http://xinehq.de/index.php/releases) itself.  Not everyone is as
patient as Andres in getting this done, but when YDL 4.1 (or any
current distribution of Linux) it is recommended to always get the
current source, libraries, and so on, from a particular project and
build the application within the current distribution if that
application which one really wants is for some reason omitted,
overlooked or otherwise not included in the current distribution.

There are reasons why an app. may not have been included, but open
source being open source, if you want it -- you can get it and get it
up and running your way.  The whole point being no one can tell you
"No!".  Of course, it may not be simple -- but it isn't impossible
either.  Just remember to keep both the distribution current together
with the libraries, source and apps of the project (like xine) which
interests you and they should work together ... once all the other
details are worked out.  Again, not everyone is as patient and focussed
as Andres was.

The prize, however, as Andres proved is getting xine (or any similar
project) to work successfully with your distribution of choice.

All the Best...