[ydl-gen] Question on YDL.net

Ted Goranson tedg at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 28 17:50:02 MDT 2006

Aaron Urbain wrote on 6/28/06:
>On 6/28/06, Ted Goranson <<mailto:tedg at alum.mit.edu>tedg at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>YDL's preferred desktop is KDE, while Fedora's is Gnome.
>

>Bosh, with fc5, you can choose kde.
>I did.

I guess I did not express myself well.

It was only a side point that the FC community supports KDE well,
incrementally via yum even though it is not their preferred desktop.

Yes, both FC and FC-derived YDL allow you to install both. But if you
know anything about RedHat and the decisions they made, you'll know
that KDE is a latecomer to the distro and is definitely the
overlooked stepsister.

They still put money into Gnome and OOo, but were forced by the user
community to include Rex Deiter's KDE work.

I'm not sure if that bosh was meant personally.

Its a minor point I was making. Fedora's community (remember that the
YellowDog work is derived from this) IS supportive of incremental
updates. And that's even though strategically RH is behind Gnome and
pushes Gnome.

(And yes, I know RH has less to do with Fedora now, but all the heavy
lifting in FC is RHL.)

Best, Ted