[ydl-gen] Uninstall 4.01

Kenneth Browne kbrowne at alumni.umass.edu
Mon Mar 13 18:05:30 MST 2006

Eric Dunbar wrote:
> On 3/12/06, Kenneth Browne <kbrowne at alumni.umass.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>  I have a G4-400 with  OSX on one disk and  YDL 4.01 on the other. Most
>> times when booting into either OS there seems to be an exceeding long
>> delay while the machine tries to sort out the two hard disks. When I
>> boot into OSX "searching local drives" takes forever although I
>> eventually get booted and all is OK. The YDL disk does not show up on
>> the OSX desktop, which makes me think the drive is on the verge of
>> failure. I say "on the verge" because at times the boot process goes
>> normally. Other times, when I try to boot YDL the system just hangs at
>> the Yaboot prompt. (It should boot through to Linux with no intervention
>> if everything is working.)
>>
>> Here's my question: If I just want to ditch YDL can I simply set the OSX
>> disk as my boot disk and remove the offending YDL hard disk, or is there
>> a Master Boot Record (Ya-bootloader) somewhere on the Mac disk that
>> needs to be removed?
>>

> AFAIK you don't even need to bother setting the OS X disk as your
> startup disk (to use Mac parlance) as your Mac should search all
> attached drives for a bootable partition if it can't find the default
> boot partition.
>
> However, just to be on the safe side I'd boot into OS X and set it as
> startup disk (so, yes, you can do precisely what you planned to do).

These are the questions that have me wondering...
> PS Where is the yaboot boot partition? On the YDL HD or the Mac OS X
> HD?
exactly! If it's on the Mac OS X disk will it interfere with using the
Mac as a Mac only? Isn't yaboot the tiny piece of software that gets
stuck in the MBR?  If  it's on the Mac  hdd  I would expect it to
continue offering me a choice of  booting into Mac or Linux even after
the Linux  disk  is nowhere to be found!

> Also, what do you mean with set OS X as your boot disk? Do you
> mean to set it as the default yaboot boot partition or the default Mac
> startup disk?

Right now yaboot will boot through to YDL unless I type "x" when yaboot
appears. That suggests to me that yaboot is on the Mac disk because
sometimes that's where the whole process stops...I suspect because they
YDL disk can't be found!

When I say 'set OS X as my boot disk I'm referring to the "startup disk"
as you mentioned above!

When all this is done with I think I will stay away from dual boot
systems and perhaps get myself a G3 clamshell just for YDL! I originally
got started with YDL on a PPC 5500 with a G3 upgrade processor, but
found YDL couldn't take advantage of the processor upgrade so the PPC
5500 is sitting out in the garage.

Thanks for response, Eric.

*****Ken Browne clacking the keys in Olde Sturbridge Village*****