[ydl-gen] Static Allocation of > 4GB RAM in 4.1?

Moose Squirrel moose_squirrel at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 15 15:42:17 MST 2006

We're looking in to using YDL 4.1 on a couple of G5s with 8GB RAM.  One
problem we encountered with OS X was its inability to statically allocate
memory larger than a couple of GB.  We produced bus errors in both C
(developer tools c) and FORTRAN (Absoft ProFortran) on OS X.

Does anyone here know if it's possible to statically allocate more than 4GB
RAM with YDL 4.1?  Is it a complete/true 64-bit system?  I can send a short
example code that allocates the memory in Fortran.

I emailed the terrasoft folks directly but haven't received a response.

It's possible to dynamically allocate larger chunks in OS X, but that would
require rewriting tons of code which runs just fine on solaris or linux.

I looked through the past couple of months of mailings on the list and
didn't see any discussion about this.  Please excuse me if it's a dead
horse.
Fuzzrence