[ydl-gen] Upgrade rant, was: Re: over-the-wire upgrading of 4.01 to 4.1

Christopher Murtagh christopher.murtagh at mcgill.ca
Fri Mar 17 11:49:01 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 08:44 -0500, Jim Hart wrote:
> <rant>
> You know, this is one thing that M$ and Apple have over GNU/Linux in
> every distro I know of. You can upgrade the O.S. without erasing and
> starting over. Your applications stay put (although they may not run in
> some cases), your preferences stay put, your documents stay put. It's so
> much easier.

 I really haven't shared this experience with commercial OSes at all
(granted, I haven't done a Windows upgrade since Win98). The last couple
of MacOS X upgrades on either my laptop, desktop or studio machine all
had wonky problems ranging from key apps failing (especially the
keychain), to complete borkage. I've since vowed never to upgrade OS X,
but always do a clean install as I do on all of my Linux boxes.

 A friend of mine swears by Debian's ability to do a dist-upgrade, but
I've never tried it - I've only played with deb once or twice, I prefer
20th century software ;-) (jk).

Cheers,

Chris