[ydl-gen] Query regarding mdmpd

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Mar 22 17:56:37 MST 2006

Greetings all:

I have noticed that mdpdm fails as YDL 4.1 is loading.  I have also
noticed that the failure doesn't appear in dmesg or /var/log/messages.

According to:

http://www.linuxmanpages.com/man8/mdmpd.8.php

The description of the daemon attends to the forks it bifurcates along
and states that the daemon "adds the path" back into the multipath md
device it was originally part of as a new spare path.

The file mdstat to which mdpdm refers lists all active md devices.  My
interpretation of the documentation is that the details of a single
drive system should be included in this file so that should there be a
failure to talk to the drive via one controller, it becomes possible via
referencing this file to utilize/switch to another controller.

Not being an engineer I'm not sure I'm interpreting the reference
correctly or whether anything should be written into mdstat.  Currently
although Personalities and unused devices exist as categories in mdstat,
I don't find any identifiable details regarding any drive.

If someone has an explanation clearer than man, info or the reference I
listed, I would appreciate the illumination.