[ydl-gen] iptables suddenly rejecting ping traffic

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Thu May 25 10:24:00 MDT 2006

Derick--

We actually have a hardware firewall between our campus and the
Internet, and a dedicated firewall device between the campus and the
residence halls.  This box is really only open to the academic
buildings on campus.

The box you recommended looks nice for a residential firewall, but not
for a firewall for a production server.  Furthermore, it'd be silly to
put those boxes on all of our machines, and putting a Cisco (etc.)
hardware firewall between our data center and the academic portion of
campus would not only be overkill, but would suffer the same drawback
as iptables: static configuration.  It would admittedly centralize the
configuration, but I've already centralized my configs with Cfengine,
and that cost a lot less than a fancy new firewall. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm definitely looking to fix this with
iptables.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University