[ydl-gen] YDL on PB17

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Wed Nov 1 11:10:46 MST 2006

I'm glad I didn't start anything!

Although I really enjoy "smooth" graphics, my reason for being
interested in YDL is as a stepping-stone to Cell processor
development. For me, the processor architecture is 90% of my reason
for choosing a platform -  my interest in Macs in 1984 was due to
their using a 68000, a CPU I greatly appreciated after doing some
assembly language programming on it (I am an old PDP-11 assembly
programmer and I loved its regular, elegant instruction set and the
contrast between 68k/PPC and x86 couldn't be greater). I also loved
the vector unit of the G4/G5 and used it to great advantage in one of
my scientific apps (an optical ray-tracing program).

Apple's switch was a big shock - a beautiful machine (particularly
the G5s and recent powerbooks), inside and out, received a "heart
transplant" which was ugly through and through (it really is an
aesthetic thing for me). I am therefore putting a lot of hope in the
PS3/YDL marriage, though I am perhaps being a bit unrealistic. It has
a lot going for it: the best chip makers in the business and a
hardware platform which will probably outsell any Apple product in a
few years since it is targeted to consumers in a very lucrative
market (games). Initial response to the Cell (particularly from
scientific programmers) has been very favorable. It is nice to see
some interesting innovation in a very staid business and I am keeping
my fingers crossed (I don't expect any significant innovation from
Intel/Microsoft).

Sorry for the length of my diatribe.

-wn