[ydl-gen] Will apps have to be recoded for PS3 CELL?

Brian Wood beww at bresnan.net
Fri Nov 10 07:53:15 MST 2006

On Nov 10, 2006, at 7:33 AM, Chris Hollman wrote:

> Admittedly I have never programmed (well, beyond 'hello world'
> anyways) but people are trying to tell me that Linux apps will have
> to be recoded (recompiled?) to work with the Cell processor on PS3
> and I maintain that if an app can run in Linux now you will be able
> to download it and run it on YDL 5.0 on the PS3 without having to
> look for a "CELL Coded/re-compiled" version.
>
> Who is right?

You certainly can't expect a binary that was compiled for an x86
machine to run on a PS3, or any other architecture that differs from
what it was originally compiled for.

Binary code is cpu-specific, so you would have to find a version that
was compiled for your particular CPU, or else get the source code and
compile it yourself for the platform you want it to run on.

Of course there is no guarantee that code which compiles and runs on
an x86 will do so properly on a different platform. It will if it was
properly conceived and executed, but heck, we have a lot of code
written for an x86 that won't even compile and/or run on an amd64
properly.