[ydl-gen] No video hardware acceleration on PS3

Brian Wood beww at bresnan.net
Wed Nov 15 10:31:54 MST 2006

On Nov 15, 2006, at 9:41 AM, Bill Mueller wrote:

>> the FAQ earlier). I think this situation is laughable - why would
>> anyone spend this money on a machine with such lame graphics? For
>> this price, one can get a fully functional PC with a supported
>> graphics card
>
> I've been following this thread for a little while here, and I can't
> determine if you are simply lamenting the lack of support for your
> application or have a chip on your shoulder in general.  Your use of
> "laughable" on a yet-to-be released platform leads me to the latter...
>
> You got to pick the right tool for your application.  As you
> mentioned,
> (thrice) the ps3 isn't for yours.
>
> To answer your why would anyone spend money on it, we'll ignore the
> standard boiler plate of Blue-Ray, HDTV output, next generation games,
> and backwards capability for existing game library.
>
> $600usd isn't bad for a
>
>          - Cell Workstation
>          - Media Server
>          - Render node
>          - An HD web/email browser for your living room
>          - Whatever else you can develop (with no 3d, yet)
>
> Myself, I don't have cable/satellite so I have an el-cheapo (TM)
> PC running a little myth-tv like app I wrote connected by S-Video
> to my TV.  Ripping DVD's from Netflix and my CD's, its a nifty little
> media juke box.  Surfing the web @ 640x480 over s-video is ugly, so
> I'm looking forward to the HDTV outputs.
>
> I've also been trying out Blender a bit, it would be cool to try
> getting a little render-farm going and race the PS3 with my dual G5.
>
> Support for 2D/3D will come with time.  Check this list's archives for
> stuff like g5 nvidia, airport extreme, thermal fan, pb pushbuttons,
> or radeon support.  With each new platform released, there is a little
> lag as we catch up to the hardware.  Check back in a couple months.
>
> It seems I'm a bit wordy today... this would have made a better blog
> entry than email.

A lot of us don't "do" blogs :-)

So the next question is: will Terrasoft be offering any sort of
package deal? I'd certainly rather have my money go to support them
as opposed to Circuit City or some other BigBoxStore (tm).

Forgive me if I've missed something obvious, but I don't find any
info on purchase on Terrasoft's site, but if they are planning on
some sort of deal I'd be willing to wait a little while longer as
opposed to just getting in line with the 13-year-old gamers :-)