[ydl-gen] Programming the CELL BE on YDL 5

Jonathan Bartlett jonathan at newmedio.com
Wed Nov 29 15:18:56 MST 2006

I'm trying to use the Cell BE stuff on YDL 5.  However, it seems like
I'm running into problems left and right.  I was going to write about
YDL at the beginning of a series of articles on SPU programming, but
this is making it difficult.

My main question is this -- how do you get SPU support in the kernel?
It doesn't seem to be there.  At least the /proc entries aren't showing
up, my programs are segfaulting on SPU thread creation, and it won't run
spu-only binaries at all.

Here are my other issues, if anyone from TerraSoft is interested

1) The Cell SDK did not install by default.  This seems like it would be
useful for a PS3 system.
2) libspe is only compiled for 32-bit not 64-bit.
3) The kernel does not seem like it has the Cell extensions installed.
Why is this?  I don't find the /proc interface, and the code I've been
writing segfaults as soon as it tries to start up the SPU thread.

Also, just FYI, I had two Tracebacks during install, but neither seemed
to be problematic -- 1 was during the beginning of the install, and said
something about PCI, and the last one was at the end of the install, and
said something about configuring X.  I was doing installtext.

Also, installtext should make the boot prompt default to ydltext or
ydl480i.  On mine, after installing, it gave me a blank screen on reboot
because it chose the wrong video mode.

Anyway, if anyone could get me started with the kernel issues, that
would be great.

Jon