[ydl-gen] Installer hangs on G5

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Sat Oct 7 20:36:33 MDT 2006

Hello;
It's been a while. Now I am trying to install Yellow Dog 4.0 on a new
G5.
I put in install disk #1 and hold down the c key as instructed.
  I get to the terminal screen where it asks for an installation option.
I enter install-g5.
The next thing that happens is a white screen with black text comes up
(OFW I presume) and spits out a few lines and then hangs with

'Calling quiesce ...
returning from prom-init
| (cursor stuck here)'.

That's it. I wait  a while, a minute or so and the system fan starts to
race.
The cursor is frozen, doesn't respond to keyboard.
I try the power button and nothing happens.
I go around to the back of the machine and pull the plug to shut it
down.
I try the same sequence again,
this time entering install-g5 text and the same thing occurs.
I thought maybe I'm not waiting long enough, but at least there
should be some sign of life from the keyboard (no?).

Here's the stats:
model PowerMac11,2
2GHz dual
CPU: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
512 Mb RAM
It is hooked up to an older ViewSonic monitor (crt)
pending acquisition of newer lcd display. But Mac OSX
doesn't seem to care.
Mac OSX 10.4.2
Has active ethernet attached (maybe I should disconnect
the ethernet cable?). Has a Mark Of The Unicorn MIDI inter-
face attached to USB port. (Maybe I should disconnect that?)
Same result with ethernet and MIDI device detached.

That is going on? I just install a 200Gb (actually about 180Gb s
useful) SATA 7200RPM drive and zeroed all data before trying
to install Yellow Dog.
The online PDF installation guide I down loaded just a hour or so
ago is incomplete and has significant sections missing in what is
there.

I did buy this package (albeit not with support) so it's not like I'm
gripping for nothing.

I'm trying Yellow Dog because I already have it and assumed that
it is the best choice for use. I have it up and running on several
old world machines, on 3400c Power Book that is running 24/7
as backup web and dns server. I have it installed on a 7200/120
(though it is sluggish it works)